SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:27:35 -0600
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 19:34 , Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Troy J Dawson wrote:
>> Nevermind, I got it to fail for me.  But only for the DVD.  But that let's me investigate it better.
>> If anyone has a solution, please let me know, because I'm not seeing anything on the console screens out of the ordinary, and I've checked that the dbus package on the DVD is the same as the network.
>
> Just as a data point, we have run a number of SL6 Beta1 network installs (using kickstart) from our local mirror, with 100% success. We use an additional repo with updates, but it holds cherry-picked packages packages only and the metadata is created locally (on an SL5 host).

Ok, I believe I have found the problem.  Not a solution, but the real
problem.

The order that the packages get installed changes when you have a 2 DVD
set with the updates (and possibly fastbugs) repo selected during the
install.  This is due to some packages being on DVD 2.

If you look at the install log failing install (/root/install.log on a
installed machine, /mnt/sysimage/root/install.log on a machine being
installed) you see that dbus fails on %pre, which is where it is adding
the users and groups that it needs to install.
But if you continue to look at that install log, you will notice that
over half of the other packages failed with their %post install scripts.
  So, you're machine would be pretty messed up even if the install finished.

As I said, I found the real problem, not the solution.

For now, we'll just say that if you are installing via DVD, to not
select the updates or fastbugs repositories.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group