SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2010

From:
"Alec T. Habig" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec T. Habig
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:08:32 -0600
derleader __ writes:

>  I'm developing C plugin for Scientific Linux which will be installed
>  as kernel module. The problem is how to collect the data about:

The kernel already makes most of that information available to userspace
programs by putting the data into "files" in the /proc filesystem, take
a look here for an overview and some good implementation links:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//proc

Hardware info and model number is sometimes there, sometimes you must
install a kernel module from your BIOS vendor to expose the info to
/proc   System logs could be monitored directly, as they're just files
too.

But why reinvent the wheel?  For userspace applications, things like
"top" or "gkrellm" already display that info (and, in fact, being
open-source would be great places to read source to see how it gets
parsed).  If you want server monitoring, take a look at "ganglia".

	  Alec

--
 	    Alec Habig, University of Minnesota Duluth Physics Dept.
		       http://neutrino.d.umn.edu/~habig/