SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2010

From:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:50:22 -0600
Hello,

As I mentioned a couple days ago, in addition to having contributed to
Fedora's livecd-toos, I also maintain VirOS.  It is my independent
though rough functional equivalent to Fedora's livecd-tools.  Unlike
livecd-tools, it doesn't require root privs, but is 5x slower, and also
supports my alternate installer- zyx-liveinstaller.  zyx-liveinstaller
is a simple demo installer, centered around a simple rebootless
installation.  What this means is that you can boot the traditional
live-cd/usb, go to a terminal(or use the gui), and type

# note this is a DESTRUCTIVE install, destination partitions get wiped
zyx-liveinstaller-cli /dev/sdx1 /dev/sdx2 /dev/sdx3 &

and then go about your business already interacting with a full 'live'
OS and as soon as that command finishes in the background, doing a df -h
will show you that you are no longer running from the copy-on-write
'live' rootfs, but instead already installed and running on /dev/sdx.
Add something like the promise of ksplice kernel updates, and you get a
system whose operational lifecycle never technically needs a single reboot.

Anyway, long story short, as promised, here is the first alpha release
of a livecd/usb .iso descended from el6, presently Scientific Linux's
available 6rolling repos.

It is a development release, and rather than colorful metaphors I'll
just throw in the relevent GPL quote[1] as an appendix and WARNING.

http://cloudsession.com/dawg/downloads/xzyx/

the VirOS iso generating tools are now hosted at

http://viros.sourceforge.net

Keep in mind this is just a 'release early / release often' initial
release.  But it will get you started, and if you are lucky work as
advertised.  It also has anaconda for traditional network installs
instead of zyx-liveinstaller, and may yet one day support the
traditional anaconda style rebootful liveos installs as a 3rd option.
And a full desktop, openoffice, thunderbird, emacs,...  coming soon, NDS
homebrew devkit and rakarrack audio-fx additions.

So let me know if you find any of this interesting, and in particular if
you have problems or even success with this release of 'X-ZyX'.  This
will be the last similar announcement to this list.  I had thought this
bleeding edge .iso would be useful in the absence of an official
alternative, but it appears Urs Beyerle managed to fill the el6-liveos
void with the pre-alpha SL livecd just a couple hours before
x-zyx-0.6.0.0.iso started uploading to my hosting provider(it still has
a few hours left with my slow 'broadband' upstream).  Still, a second
alternative .iso may prove useful and interesting to some.  Finally, I
do plan on submitting a spec for viros here for inclusion in the contrib
repository.  Until then-

Thanks for Scientific Linux, Happy Holidays, and Cheers,

-dmc
Douglas McClendon
http://cloudsession.com

[1]
---

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE
ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH
YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL
NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
"