SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2010

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:26:24 -0600
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hello,
> We have released the third Alpha of Scientific Linux 6.
>
> The release is at
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/
>
> DVD and Net Install downloads are at
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/iso/
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso/
>
> FIXED/CHANGED IN ALPHA 3:
> - SELinux - you no longer get an error about selinux during the install, and
> the default install has it turned on.
> - ntp error - We believe the ntp error was because of the selinux problems we
> were having.  When we fixed selinux, the ntp error went away.
> - Package Check
> We have compared our packages with The Upstream Vendor's, and found several
> differences.  We have rebuilt around 240 packages, resulting in around 360
> binary packages that have changed.

Note that the old package was replaced with the new package.  The file
name stayed the same.  So yum will not have a clue that these packages
were replaced.  This is one of the reasons why a yum update from a alpha
--> beta --> released will not work.  None of these new replaced rpms will
be updated via yum.

> - revisor cleanup and documentation
> http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/sites
> This currently only has the "Quick and Easy text mode" for building your own
> distribution, but expect it to grow.
>
> KNOWN ISSUES:
> Packages that haven't been built, and aren't in the release.
> ekiga
> kdepim-runtime
> perl-Sys-Virt
>
> There are no specialized pictures shown during the install.  Just the
> one that you see through the whole time.  We are attempting to get this
> fixed, but it isn't looking very likely.
>
> We have not put in any external repos, such as EPEL or rpmforge.
>
> CHANGES PLANNED FOR ALPHA 4 / BETA 1
>
> We are planning on SL6 Alpha 4 or BETA 1 to be released Friday January 7,
> 2011
> There might be some minor changes between now and then, but nothing major
>
> Expected Updates for Alpha 4 / Beta 1
> - We will continue to compare our packages against The Upstream Vendor's
> packages, comparing everything in them.
> - Hopefully all of the rest of the trouble rpm's will be in the release.
> - Add yum repositories (not installed by default)
> - Work on graphics and overall look.
>
> Thanks to everyone who has tested and helped thus far.
> The Scientific Linux Development Team

-Connie Sieh