SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 14:09:49 -0600
Hello,
We have released the third Alpha of Scientific Linux 6.

The release is at
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/

DVD and Net Install downloads are at
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/iso/
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso/

FIXED/CHANGED IN ALPHA 3:
- SELinux - you no longer get an error about selinux during the install,
and the default install has it turned on.
- ntp error - We believe the ntp error was because of the selinux
problems we were having.  When we fixed selinux, the ntp error went away.
- Package Check
We have compared our packages with The Upstream Vendor's, and found
several differences.  We have rebuilt around 240 packages, resulting in
around 360 binary packages that have changed.
- revisor cleanup and documentation
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/sites
This currently only has the "Quick and Easy text mode" for building your
own distribution, but expect it to grow.

KNOWN ISSUES:
Packages that haven't been built, and aren't in the release.
ekiga
kdepim-runtime
perl-Sys-Virt

There are no specialized pictures shown during the install.  Just the
one that you see through the whole time.  We are attempting to get this
fixed, but it isn't looking very likely.

We have not put in any external repos, such as EPEL or rpmforge.

CHANGES PLANNED FOR ALPHA 4 / BETA 1

We are planning on SL6 Alpha 4 or BETA 1 to be released Friday January
7, 2011
There might be some minor changes between now and then, but nothing major

Expected Updates for Alpha 4 / Beta 1
- We will continue to compare our packages against The Upstream Vendor's
packages, comparing everything in them.
- Hopefully all of the rest of the trouble rpm's will be in the release.
- Add yum repositories (not installed by default)
- Work on graphics and overall look.

Thanks to everyone who has tested and helped thus far.
The Scientific Linux Development Team