SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2010

From:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:07:24 -0600
Hello, my name is Douglas McClendon.  I recently discovered the rolling
alpha of SL6 after discovering how comparatively closed the CentOS
development is.  I have a history of working with fedora, and
contributing primarily to their livecd-tools and related anaconda stuff.
  I even have my own alternate livecd generation system, which as of the
last couple of days now supports 6rolling.  Thus I plan to release a
rebranded installable live .iso image in the next day or two.

In general my first presumption is to deal with SL as an upstream
similarly to how I deal with fedora.  I.e. brandstrip the same way SL
brandstrips from its upstream.  The question I have next, is whether you
have the same attitude towards repo configs as fedora.  Fedora has
explicitly stated that they do not mind rebranded and remixed derivative
distros shipping with repo configs pointing at their repositories.
However after reading your FAQs and seeing the bit about you considering
a commercial derivative to be 'rude' and 'possibly illegal' (like FUD
much?), I figure its best to ask if you have a problem with that.  If
so, I can create my own quasi-mirror repo, but I'd rather stick with
yours as I do with my fedora derivatives.

Also, I would like to comment on that 'rude' bit.  Given that SL is
'capitalizing' on the works of countless other individuals and
corporations who play by the GPL rules, I find the 'rude' comment to be
a bit 'rude' in itself.  Myself, I've been unemployed for quite some
time, and have code and contributions that perhaps some subset of the SL
community are using to make their $$ jobs go more smoothly and
efficiently.  It seems only fair that in the extremely unlikely event
that I could successfully commercialize a SL derived distro, that I
should be allowed to feed myself.  I really wish I didn't mean that as
literally as I do.

But no worries, it will certainly be no sweat to do my initial
development against the available 6rolling, and then switch to CentOS
for any commercial purposes - not because there is any legal requirement
I think that I do so, but just to avoid being considered 'rude' by the
SL community.

In any event, I do very much appreciate your work, as well as the
mountain of work which is its foundation.  Thank you, and I hope that
some of the experimental projects I'm working on will perhaps be of some
help to your community in the coming days as well.  (in the immediate
future they will be non-commercial GPL offerings, but my goal is to
commercially feed myself with my work somehow)

Cheers,

-dmc
Douglas McClendon