SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

December 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:34:10 -0600
Hello,
We have released the second Alpha of Scientific Linux 6.

The release is at
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/

DVD and Net Install downloads are at
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/iso/
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso/

FIXED IN ALPHA 2:
- You are now able to choose between a variety of installs, such as
Desktop, Basic Server, Web Developement Workstation, and others.  As an
extra bonus, Minimal install is actually minimal.

- We have gotten the following packages to build, and they are in the
release.
foomatic
guile
hivex
linuxdoc-tools
perl-GSSAPI
perl-Test-MockObject
python-sqlalchemy
ruby
TurboGears2
virt-top

- revisor is now working.  You are now able to make your own site.

- documentation is better.
The release notes are getting beter
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/os/sl-release-notes-6.0.html
We have a page that tells what we did to get packages to build
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/problem
And there soon should be a page documenting how to make sites using
revisor, expect it to be in this directory
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/

KNOWN ISSUES:

During the install, just before the graphical part starts, you will get
an error "SELinux: Could not open policy file ..." As a result selinux
will not be turned on after the install.  This is a known issue and
hopefully will be fixed by Alpha 3.

During the firstboot, and later using system-config-date, if you try to
setup ntp it will fail and give you an error about not being able to
write to certain files.  This is a known issue and hopefully will be
fixed soon.

Packages that haven't been built, and aren't in the release.
ekiga
kdepim-runtime
perl-Sys-Virt

We do not have all of the updates that RedHat has released.  We do have
some, but not all.

There are no specialized pictures shown during the install.  Just the
one that you see through the whole time.  We are attempting to get this
fixed, but it isn't looking very likely.

We have not put in any external repos, such as EPEL or rpmforge.

CHANGES PLANNED FOR ALPHA 3

We are planning on SL6 Alpha 3 to be released next friday - 17 December

Expected Updates for Alpha 3
- We will be comparing our packages against The Upstream Vendor's
packages, comparing everything in them.
- SELinux will work during the install, and be enabled after.
- Hopefully all of the rest of the trouble rpm's will be in the release.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group