SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2010

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:30:28 +0100
Hi,

I have to bring the sad news that I forgot to inform this mailinglist of
an important change that happened to the RPMforge repositories (I
thought I did though). With the release of RHEL6 the base RPMforge
repository has been split between packages that do not replace base
packages, and packages that do. Not only for RHEL6, but also for RHEL5,
RHEL4, RHEL3 and RHEL2.

This was something frequently requested, and one of the reasons some
people avoided the RPMforge repository. My personal view on this is that
such a policy is much better handled by the depsolver (eg. yum) but
lacking proper plugins that would allow flexibility the decision was
made to split the repository in two.

In fact we already had two separate repository, which makes 4
repositories in total:

  - rpmforge            (tag: rf)  - additional packages
  - rpmforge-extras     (tag: rfx) - packages replacing base
  - rpmforge-testing    (tag: rft) - test/development packages
  - rpmforge-buildtools (tag: rfb) - buildtools (only needed for building)

The good news is that we now provide RHEL6 packages and that enabling
RPMforge by default is safer than ever. Cherry-picking packages from
rpmforge-extras is possible by either including specific packages in your
yum configuration, or relying on one of the plugins using priorities.

The different repotags are used so it becomes very transparent which
installed packages replace an official supported upstream package.

Again, sorry for omitting this list and the problems this may have caused.

Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/