SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2010

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:51:19 +0100
Hi Simon,

I had to look it up myself how I did it on the SL miniLiveCD. The
important parts are in the files mini-livecd.sh and
customize/livecd-autologin.

Possibly that's not the easiest solution, but it seems to work.

In short: At the end of the LiveCD booting the script customize/runlast
is executed as /etc/rc.d/init.d/runlast. In case of the miniLiveCD
runlast calls the script livecd-autologin, which enables auto login for
the local user and creates the files ~./xinitrc and ~/.xsession for the
local user where icewm-session is started for him.

It may works, if you write something like the following at the very end
of customize/runlast:

### variable LOCALUSER should be known by runlast,
### default is sluser
STARTSESSION="icewm-session"
LOCALUSER_HOME=$(grep "^${LOCALUSER}:" /etc/passwd | cut -d":" -f6)

### create .xinitrc for LOCALUSER
XINITRC=$LOCALUSER_HOME/.xinitrc
echo "[ -x ~/autostart ] && ~/autostart" > $XINITRC
echo "exec $STARTSESSION" >> $XINITRC
chmod 755 $XINITRC

### link .xsession to .xinitrc
ln -sf .xinitrc $LOCALUSER_HOME/.xsession

On the SL minLiveCD no login manager (kdm, gdm, xdm) is installed.
That's the reason why I did it over ~/.xinitrc. If you have a login
manager installed, maybe this does not work or there is a much easier
way to set icewm as default.

Cheers,

    Urs