SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:33:05 -0500
Hi:

I stubled into the old trap again when I forgot to comment out all disk
in "fstab"  rebooted the system and I get dumped to a single user and it
tells you to enter your passwd and it gives you an error message.
You have no privilege to do anything.
Susi works correctly - what is wrong with SL or RedHad.
I tried SL 5.5 CD install disk and guess what.   I changed a few item but it
would never allow you to do anything.

I had to revert to do a new system install, set up disk labels, not format
anything but new disk I was changing our, enter root, and network stuff,
reboot before you change you OS applications.   It cleans up the install
stuff on reboot and you then have redo the "fstab".

The trap is that when I labeled new disk to same as old disk, removed old
disk, set address for new disk, rsync to load new disk, install new disk.  It
all looked good except for label on disk was wrong.

A simple easy process in Susi and other RH distributions but not in SL.
It has to be the kids fooling around with "fedora".   Because this had worked
correctly for 20 years in the Unix world but is lately broken in SL or RH.

We love SL and it runs everything we need but with this problem it makes the
maintenance of the system hard for such a simple task - if only SL was fixed.

Some of our simulations are pretty fantastic at analyzing data.
The "Numerical Recipes in C" and the FFT stuff work well.
The applications from Dag were a real help.  Not to mention setting up "R" and
using it to mine data.

The SL team and members are supper and give a lot of no BS advice that is
always on the mark.   There are a few things that just need to be fixed, they
are minor but costly in time.

As several system grow the minor stuff becomes more and more important.

Regards
Larry Linder