SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2010

From:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Holmstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:18:10 -0500
On 9/23/2010 3:56, Arnau Bria wrote:
> My question was: why SL recommends "low level" tools and not "advanced"
> ones? Is there any problem with mrepo (which also does a cretearepo) ?
> Is a simple rsync/ftp the best way for doing the mirror?
>
> We're using mrepo (with createrepo) and we're moving to cobbler (a
> higher level tool for repos/distro/install...) and we can sleect
> a new way for mirroring distros. So, if mrpeo (with its createrepo,
> blah, blah...) is not recommmended, we're on time to change to pure
> rsync/ftp.

SL's documentation just concerns what protocol you use to pull packages
from other mirrors, not what you do with the stuff you download
afterwards.  If you're running a private mirror you should ideally
download them with rsync to transfer less data.  What you do with your
mirror after that is up to you.  To meed SL's mirroring guidelines you
should just set cobbler to mirror with rsync.

Note that it is rarely necessary for cobbler to run createrepo on
rsync'ed repos since the mirror you're syncing from should already have
good metadata.  You can make cobbler skip the createrepo step by adding
"--help" or an invalid option to the repo's createrepo_flags and you
should still get a perfectly valid mirror without burning lots of CPU
time re-hashing every package.

If you are running a public mirror, some distributions will require you
to *not* run createrepo so repodata remain consistent across all
mirrors.  I am not sure whether this is the case for SL or not.

--
Garrett Holmstrom
University of Minnesota School of Physics and Astronomy