SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:55:42 -0500
Arnau Bria wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:48:21 +0100 (BST)
> Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I'd never heard of mrepo or cobbler, but
>> I think you are working at a different level from the SL docs.
>
> Yep.
>
>> The SL doc recommends ftp and especially rsync as ways of
>> *transferring* updates from the master to the mirror.
>>
>> A quick look at the instructions for mrepo or cobbler suggests
>> that they are tools for serving mirrored data and that they can
>> both use rsync to collect updates from the master.
> Exactly. Maybe my question was not clear enough.
>
> My question was: why SL recommends "low level" tools and not "advanced"
> ones? Is there any problem with mrepo (which also does a cretearepo) ?
> Is a simple rsync/ftp the best way for doing the mirror?
>
> We're using mrepo (with createrepo) and we're moving to cobbler (a
> higher level tool for repos/distro/install...) and we can sleect
> a new way for mirroring distros. So, if mrpeo (with its createrepo,
> blah, blah...) is not recommmended, we're on time to change to pure
> rsync/ftp.
>
> Sorry if I did not ask my question propertly in my first mail.
>

> Cheers,
> Arnau

Hi,
We are not preventing anybody from doing anything, as long as they do
not hit our servers to hard.  You can use mrepo, cobbler, yam, sweat
potatoes, and anything else you want.  (Sorry, sweat potatoes is not
really a program, it's just that everything else diverged into food, and
then I got hungry.)

mrepo and cobbler are not true mirrors.

Yam & Mrepo - "mrepo builds a local APT/Yum RPM repository from local
ISO files, downloaded updates, and extra packages from 3rd party
repositories."

Cobbler - "Cobbler is an install server." & "Cobbler can also optionally
help with managing DHCP, DNS, and yum package mirroring infrastructure"

They download packages and then create their own repositories.  They
might even pull in different packages from different places and merge
them into your repository.
A mirror looks just like what it looks like on the server you downloaded
it from.

So, in summary.  You can use whatever program you want to pull packages
down.  Both mrepo and cobbler can use rsync, so I would suggest that.
But I'm not going to document how to use either mrepo or cobbler.  For
that you will need to look at those programs documentation.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group