SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2010

From:
Greg Heilers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Heilers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:35:43 -0500
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:02:51 -0700
Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 08:15:28PM -0500, David McLean wrote:
> >    Just looking for any recommendations for computer hardware to use or to
> >    stay away from. ...
> >    ... I'm sure they will purchase a Dell system ...
>

> Dell is the one to stay away from. Many magic components that cannot
> be replaced by parts from local computer store.

Unless, you reside in central Texas, where Dell machines and parts are
plentiful and *extremely* inexpensive.  :o)
http://www.discountelectronics.com

(I will agree with the "magic components" though.  Isn't his name
Michael *P* Dell - "P" as in "proprietary?")

I have SL-5.5 successfully running on both my Optiplex GX620 desktop
and my Inspiron 1150 laptop.

--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317

For two incredible email programs:
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/
http://www.mutt.org

I loved Augustus McRae, but I wasn't willing to share him with you every
time you decided to ride off on some adventure.  I despised you for what
you were then, Captain Call; and I despise you for what you're doing!

          -- Clara Allen, in Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove"