SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2010

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 18:23:32 +0200
On 09/21/2010 05:53 PM, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Richard Darnley wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just installed SL 5.5 on my laptop.  I have re-booted it after
>> the install and now it asks me what my login and password is.
>> However what ever I type in doesn't work.  Can some help?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard
>
> Hi Richard,
> Did you install it from the LiveCD, or the normal install CD's or DVD's?
>
> If you installed with the normal install CD's or DVD's, then it
> *should* be asking you to setup a user, where you give it your
> username and password.
>
> If you are installing from the liveCD, then ...

The installer has been asking you during LiveCD install to type in at
least the root password. Login as root with this password and change the
password of (any) user with

passwd <username>

Or try to boot into single user mode, see for example
https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

Depending on your setup, in single user mode you may become root without
a password. Type

passwd

to change the root password.

Cheers,