SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:39:18 -0500
Arnau Bria wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've added a i386 repo to my x86_64 nodes and I'm seeing that, when
> installing the node, yum sometimes installs many i386 packages and
> sometimes not.
> So, I'd like to set yum to install always x86_64 and then i386 (if
> needed or specified).
>
> Reading yum.conf man I saw :
>
> multilib_policy Can be set to ’all’ or ’best’. All means install all
> possible arches for any package you want to install. Therefore yum
> install foo will install foo.i386 and foo.x86_64 on x86_64, if it is
> available. Best means install the best arch for this platform, only.
>
> so seems that is the param I want. Yum tries to install x86_64 but if I
> specify foo.i386 it will install foo.i386 too.
>
> But then I noticed a strange behaviour (bug? feature?) when installing
> groups of packages. If multilib_policy is set to best, i386 packages
> from the group are not installed:
>
> # grep multilib_policy /etc/yum.conf
> multilib_policy=best
> # yum  groupinstall glite-WN
> [....]
> No packages in any requested group available to install or update
>

> # grep multilib_policy /etc/yum.conf
> #multilib_policy=best
> # yum  groupinstall glite-WN
> [...]
>
> Dependencies Resolved
>
> ================================================================================================================================================================================
>  Package                                  Arch                              Version                                     Repository                                         Size
> ================================================================================================================================================================================
> Installing:
>  dpm                                      i386                              1.7.4-7sec.sl5                              gLite-WN-3.2-updates                              3.9 M
>  dpm-devel                                i386                              1.7.4-7sec.sl5                              gLite-WN-3.2-updates                              609 k
>  dpm-libs                                 i386
> [...]
>

> so here comes some questions:
>
> 1.-) I'm not a "yum group" expert, but a group is a list of packages to
> be installed, so, why is yum bypassing i386 packages? Cause I can
> install all missing packages "by hand".
>
> is it a problem in group's creation?
>
> 2.-) Who may I configure yum so it install x86_64 packages always, and
> only i386 if needed or specified?
>

> Many thanks in advance,
> Arnau

Hi Arnua,
The problem is with groups, and as far as I know, has not been resolved.
There is no way to add arches to packages in a group.  So when you do
group installs, it is going to follow the multilib_policy.
If the policy is set to "best", and there is a package for both i386 and
x86_64, then it is going to pick the x86_64 one and ignore the other.
If the policy is set to "all" then it is going to install both the i386
and x86_64.

That might be fixed in SL6, or maybe with a yum plugin, but I haven't
seen it yet.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group