SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:09:44 -0700
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:59:31 -0700 (PDT)
William Shu wrote:

> Dear All,
> I forwarded this mail back in July buy got no reply. So I can use the
> machine, does anyone have a workaround that avoids
> changing/recompiling stock SL software/kernel? (Googling seems to
> suggest there is a fundamental problem; I lack the needed networking
> skills.)
>
> Many thanks
>
> William.

..
> > I have an atheros 9825 wireless card (on a compaq
> > CQ60-615DX) which is detected, but somehow fails to connect
> > to -- or rather immediately disconnects immediately from --
> > the network when the password is given. I am running it
> > using linux 5.5 livedvd, but the same device connects
> > successfully under Windows7.

Atheros 9825? That sounds like it should be wireless-n, supported by
ath9k (or perhaps madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6, but don't expect the latter to
be easy).
Here's a little info:
http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/Atheros

I'd see whether `ifconfig wlan0 down;modprobe -r ath9k` and
`modprobe ath9k; ifconfig wlan0 up` will get it working.
If not, I'd try the CentOS 2.6.32 kernel/some RHEL6 kernel; try another
distro; or wait a little bit.

Be aware that ath9k is a work in progress.

> > It seems this issue was discussed sometime before, but I do
> > not seem to find it. Any help appreciated. Below are details
> > from wpa_supplicant.log and dmesg that I guess are helpful.
..