SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

From:
Chris Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:35:00 -0400
  On 8/30/2010 11:14 PM, g wrote:
> On 08/31/2010 03:01 AM, Alan Bartlett wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> As a scientist, I would perform the experiment but now, I suspect, it
>> will not make any difference.  :-/
> i am not a scientist, but i do know how to 'swag'. ;)
>
> will give mkinitrd a run tomorrow.
>
>> I right out of ideas. Perhaps someone else may have a suggestion?
> i do appreciate your help.
>
> you had me going in a good direction, but dm-* modules just do not
> want to go along 'with the program'.
>
> i do hope someone has an answer. i wanted to do an upgrade, but i
> wanted to get ride of raid first. there has to be a way.
>

> thanks again.

Some suggestions.  First, I think that renaming the dm directory won't
do what you want because a "modprobe -a" will rebuild the dependencies
with the new directory names.  That's just a theory of mine that's
unproven.  To defeat this, you would need to move that directory
completely out /lib/modules tree.  However, I would make sure you have a
backup kernel configured that you can boot from if this crashes your
startup.

A less drastic measure to try would be to make a /etc/modprobe.conf file
with something like this

alias modulename off

Or

blacklist modulename

see http://wiki.xdroop.com/space/RedHat/Prevent+Module+Loading for the
reference of this solution.

I would think that a raid setup would need to put this stuff on the
initial ram disk in case raid is needed to access the boot/root
partitions.  So a mkinitrd would probably need to be done after making
/etc/modprobe.conf.

Regards,
Chris