SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 02:18:56 +0000
On 08/31/2010 01:24 AM, Alan Bartlett wrote:
<snip>

> Did you recreate the relevant initrd for the kernel?

no. you did no mention, and i did not think of it. [see bellow]

<snip>

> Ah, I've just noticed something. Initially your were referring to
> dmraid -- the device mapper RAID.  Latterly you have been referring to
> the md RAID -- as in "mdadm". They are two separate RAID entities.

md is from the path;

  "/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.11.1.el5/kernel/drivers/md/"

where the 'dm-*' modules that load are.

modules loaded, in order, short form. i did not write down version
numbers or full of 'device-mapper' messages;

  dm-mem
  dm-mod
  device-mapper ....
  device-mapper ....
  dm-log
  dm-reg
  dm-messages
  dm-raid
  device-mapper ....

i can reboot and get full if you need.

<snip>

> will find the section of code where any mdraid is started:
>
> [quote]
> # RAID setup
> update_boot_stage RCraid
> [ -x /sbin/nash ] && echo "raidautorun /dev/md0" | nash --quiet 2>/dev/null
> if [ -f /etc/mdadm.conf ]; then
>     /sbin/mdadm -A -s
> fi
> [/quote]

yes. when i had "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" open to comment out what i wrote
in other post, i did a 'find' to see where else had word 'raid'.

i commented this out because i ran 'man mdadm' and did not believe that
mdadm was active because there is no "/etc/mdadm.conf" along with fact
that i commented out all of "# RAID setup" to help insure that nothing
raid related was in file.

in other words, *all* that relates to 'raid' is commented out.

only thing i have not done is run 'mkinitrd'.

so, should i run 'mkinitrd' or not?

> This suggests to me that you should ensure there isn't a mdadm.conf
> file in your /etc/ directory . . .

# locate mdadm.conf
/usr/share/doc/mdadm-2.6.9/mdadm.conf-example
/usr/share/man/man5/mdadm.conf.5.gz
#

--

peace out.