SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2010 15:54:45 -0400
I had been running ooffice 3.2 for a long time with SL 5.4.  When  SL 5.5 was
installed things got pretty strange.
We installed 3.2.1 because some users though they needed it.

Every night "yum" removes a lib required for 3.2.1 to operate.
The file is "ibuno_sal.so.3".  The fix is the same -
use "yum erase" to remove ooffice and reinstall it from my local
RPMS directory you get when you extract it from the tar file.

If you use the official install you do not get a working system because
ibuno_sal.so.3 is not being installed.  The script is broken.

The only working scheme is to use "yum localinstall  /path/RPMS" and it
installs the missing lib. - this works.
In the middle of the night it goes missing again.   I think this is due to a
yum database and file name being the same as the default ooffice in the
remote depository.

I need a way to prevent this problem as I am getting a lot of FLAK from some
users who happen to stumble in, in the middle of the night and ooffice will
not come up because of the missing file.

This has been a problem for the last 3 weeks.   I missed it because a lot of
people just turn their monitors OFF and leave the box up.
The other problem is that  /usr is now 100% full 16 K left.
After reading the re partitioning procedure of the drive, it becomes a high
risk operation.
I guess I will install another disk and start over on at least a few systems.
One thing about making them all the same the is the problem is now universal !

Larry Linder