SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

From:
Edelmiro Moman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edelmiro Moman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:24:50 +0200
It is maybe the same bug I had found in Debian (Squeeze) and Ubuntu.
The driver was so buggy that eventually my laptop could freeze during
long downloads. I think the bug is fixed in Debian (testing).

Installing the latest linux drivers from the Realtek website appears
to fix the problem (I have not tried with SL, because I do not have SL
in that laptop).

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Steve Gaarder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> (If there's another way to report bugs, please let me know and accept my
> apologies for cluttering the list)
>
> SL5 has a bug in the driver for the Realtek RTL8169sc/8110sc ethernet cards,
> presumably inherited from RedHat.  Basically, the most recent versions of
> this driver, such as that in 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5, write the MAC address back
> to the card at shutdown, but do it badly, zeroing out the leading 4 bytes of
> the address.  This changes the card's address until the next power-cycle. A
> bug report has been filed for Fedora, number 573201, but I don't see one for
> RHEL.
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve Gaarder
> System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
> Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA

Edelmiro Moman, PhD
Campus Limpertsberg, BRB 1.11B
Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine (LCSB)
162a avenue de la Faïencerie
L-1511 Luxembourg

Phone : +352 46-66-44-6117
E-mail : Eldemiro.Moman at uni.lu