SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:08:29 -0400
I hate to say this but Linux has been around a long time and refuses to grow
up.   The kids at Fedora scare me to death, due to lack to testing and
maturity.   How does some thing that has worked for a long long time suddenly
quit.

We build a lot of code for embedded processors and have versions stacked on
versions in some cases - the test suite grows to match added features.   I
think that the tinkerers don't fully understand what they are working on but
are set on getting course credit for something they botched.

As an after hours sometimes professors teaching robotics, the class lasts 4
years, one semester a year.  It a small University teaching Engineers and
Nurses to young men and ladies.
I have been accused of being too hard on students and expect too much.   If
you expect less you get less.
Most of the students (even the ones who complained) I have taught send me a
note years later and said that they had been successful because of having to
understand the fine detail of what they are doing.   I just taught them to
think and work hard.
The first night I introduce my self and pass out the class notes, tests and
answers.   This makes all the students equal.  Some one invariable asks if I
grade on a curve and I ask if that is some kind of base ball term.   Then for
the real surprise - the grading system is simple - its binary,  a 1 or 0.   I
told them what they need to learn and gave them the tests and all they need
to do is listen and study to fill in the blacks.
I'm not easy but if one has a problem getting the right answer I spend time
one on one to make sure they understand.  Everyone thinks differently and
some solutions are neat, amusing, convoluted but correct.
I have never had to give out a "zero" yet.  Some have repeated the class
because we have fun designing and building new stuff.  Some of the hardware
they build is pretty crude, some almost a work of art but it always works.

I will down grade Cups.
Thanks for the help.

Larry