SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:49:00 -0500
Larry,

Although my problem might be different, it may be relevant.  I've not
used 5.5 (still hanging on 5.2).  I've run into problems like this as
well with printing in a similar fashion.  I've found that the community
adopted the use of texttopaps, which is horribly bugging, borderline
CRAP.  Try editing /etc/cups/mime.convs and changing the text/plain
filter back to texttops (remove the 'pa' from the existing entry).  My
experience wasn't a non-printing, but a printing of something entirely
different from what I expected (font, pitch, etc).

Another workaround may be to use enscript to generate a postscript or
pdf and then send it to the printer.
Example:

enscript -q -B -MLetter -fLetterGothicLineMonospace7/11
--margins=45::10: -o - filename.txt | ps2pdf - filename.pdf

Or a texttops filter:
/usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops pdf-gen postgres "filename" 1 "cpi=16
lpi=6 page-top=18 page-left=46" filename | ps2pdf - filename.pdf

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark

--