SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2010

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2010 22:39:52 +0100
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Arnau Bria wrote:
<snip>

>>> Seems that comes from dag:
>>> python-numpy.x86_64 1.0.1-1.el5.rf dag
>>>
>>> http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/dag/redhat/el5/en/x86_64/RPMS.dag/python-numpy-1.0.1-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm
>>>
>>> *we use local repo replica, but the package is in official dag repo.
>>
>> You mention python-numpy when the question was about
>> python-numeric :-)
>
> no, Andrew asked about pythion-numeric. From his reply:
>
> "I see that your package python-numeric-23.1-0.2.el5.rf.x86_64
> has rf in the releae. Is it from rpmforge ? "

But your _answer_ mentioned python-numpy NOT python-numeric:

>>  Seems that comes from dag:
>>  python-numpy.x86_64 1.0.1-1.el5.rf dag
           *^^^^^*

>> I'd suggest removing the python-numpy and any rf/dag versions of
>> python-numeric from your repos and do the tests with just the sl5
>> repos enabled...
>
> I do need dag. removing it my question about numpy feature won't be
> answered.
>
> *Probably with only SL5 repos I won't have this problem cause only one
> package will server numpy feature.

But the sl5 repo contains numpy - and it seems to be newer than the
version in python-numpy anyway.

The sl5 numpy package is a newer version so should be preferred but the
name isn't the same.

What does:

   rpm -q --whatrequires python-numpy

report on your machines?

If you can't remove these (obsolete) packages from your repos then the
package clashes will

Troy, should the sl5 numpy package provide a python-numpy feature and
obsolete/conflict python-numpy to avoid this problem for people who have
this dag version present in their active repos? (or perhaps ask dag to
remove python-numpy)

  -- Jon