SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2010

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:34:50 +0200
Hi Troy,

On Aug 31, 2010, at 18:16 , Troy Dawson wrote:

> Alex Owen wrote:
>> I gather the Upstream Vendor has announced "Extended Life-cycle Support".
>> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/extended_lifecycle_support/
>> http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
>> Will this affect the SL release roadmap?
>> Alex Owen
>
> Short answer:
>
> No it does not affect our roadmap. Our release roadmap is still valid.
>
> We will not be extending support for SL3 and SL4 beyond what is stated in our roadmap.

Thanks for this statement. Let's hope it won't even be an option.

The current support duration for SL3/4 is highly appreciated - being one of those begging for the SL3 extension back in 2005(?), I can say that we're still supporting a few important SL3 systems, and for good reasons. But meanwhile, users who haven't managed to move on to new releases readily available for at least three years now really ought to purchase the required subscriptions from TUV.

SL resources should much rather go into SL6 - IMHO. NB any news on the pre-alpha, now that the beta 2 refresh (the last public beta release, AFAIK) is out?

- Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-