SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:06:32 -0500
Hi Christopher,
Scientific Linux is an enterprise release.  We are based  off RHEL and
not Fedora.  That means we are much more stable and do not run the
latest kernel.
If you need some functionality that is only found in the latest kernels,
then you need to talk with RedHat about porting that functionality into
RHEL's kernel, or you need to figure out how to separate that
functionality into a kernel module that can be loaded into older 2.6
kernels.

Or is that what you are asking, how to package up a kernel module for
enterprise releases such as SL, RHEL and CentOS?

Troy

C. Bergström wrote:
> Hi all..
>
> PathScale has developed an entirely open source GPGPU driver for NVIDIA
> hardware, but hit a small snag with deploying on Scientific linux..  We
> need to create a package for a very recent version of linux.. (We're
> targeting 2.5.35+)  Could someone help out with testing and advising on
> how we can have an experimental package made up..
>
> Thanks
>
> ./Christopher
>
> ps.. Do you guys have an irc channel?  (If not feel free to ping me on
> #pathscale on freenode)

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group