SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:52:39 -0500
Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> SL mini LiveCD x64 is distributed with Firefox 3.6.4-8.
>
> As I used Minefield x64 (Firefox 3.7.xx, now 4.0.xx) in Debian x64
> before recent transition to SL x64 (from mini livecd) I decided to
> install the future Firefox version in SL as well.
>
> Firefox 4.0 is installed in /opt/firefox directory.
>
> After running then closing FF 4.0beta, and starting 3.6.4 (SL 5.5.
> current), the FF checks for expansions (correct) but it detects too
> that I'm using unsafe version and suggests to install 3.6.6.
>
> How it is with the versionning in SL?

It isn't really the versioning, it is the configurations.
By default, the firefox that comes from SL (or RHEL) does not check to
see if it is the latest firefox.
When you switched to the latest firefox, it must have overwritten those
preferenced in your home firefox setting.  Your home area firefox
settings take precidence over the general firefox settings.
So when you switched back to FF 3.6.4, it now saw that it was supposed
to check to see if it was the latest version, and so ... checked.

> When running _only_ FF 3.6.4 I got no such messages.
>
> BTW. Why Sylpheed 2.0.4 x64 for SL is NOT compiled against error
> checking, there's no such option. Did I miss something with the mailer?

Sylpheed is not part of Scientific Linux, but the dag or rpmforge
repository, so this is not the right place to ask your question about
it.  Please ask your question about sylpheed on their mailling list.
Thanks
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group