SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 02:29:12 +0000
Larry Linder wrote:
> Because we are in a little town (wide spot in road) the DSL is not the most
> reliable.  That is why I down loaded the 8 disks from another source and
> wanted to update systems to SL 5.5.
> This install try was an update and not a new installation.
> There have been a lot of additions to this system, for doing FFT, Power
> Spectral Density, and a lot of signal processing.   Unfortunately /usr has
> expaned beyond our first guess and /usr/local is almost empty.

steven timm has right suggestion, but i believe he missed;

> Since these may not be adjacent partitions.  Is there anyway to expand /usr
> and shrink /usr/local.

so, how about posting your /etc/fstab, and post results of;

 df -B 1024|grep /dev/|sort

do you have any room for an additional large hard drive?

do you have another system that you can mount hard drive that you are
having space problems with?

no further commitment or comments until you reply to above, as it will
determine how to proceed.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.