SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:32:25 -0500
Larry Linder wrote:
> When installing SL5.5 over SL5.4 about mid way into the Disk 2 I get an Error
> message to REBOOT.
> 204 Meg on /mnt/sysimage/usr
>
> When I look at /mnt   it is empty after reboot.
> My guess is that update ran out of disk space, and the the sysimage/usr is
> removed after ERROR is detected and REBOOT message is displayed.
>
> Is there anyway to change the location of sysimage/usr to some other disk on
> the system?
>
> The sda? contains all the system directories and is 36 G, about 1/2 of it is
> uncommitted.   /usr is 8G and 94% full.  Other directories have at least a G
> of spare space.
>
> I need to change partition sizes but hate to waste a lot of time guessing.
>
> Thank You
> Larry Linder

Hi Larry,
One quick question before I proceed.  Are you doing a real "upgrade" or
an "install"
An "upgrade" is where SL 5.4 stays there and you just update the
packages in it.  If that is the case, using the installer isn't the
recommended way of updating it.  It is much easier to to an upgrade via yum.
http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade.5x

An "install" is where you wipe and reformat everything except maybe your
home and data partitions.

I am going to assume that you are doing a "install" or SL 5.5 over a
previously installed SL 5.4.

If you are doing this, then you *need* to reformat the partitions that
do not contain your home area or data.  Otherwise the install starts
adding to what is already there, and as you saw, it can fill up.

Patitions you should format if you are doing an install.

/
/usr
/var
/boot

As Steve said in a previous email, if you can fit everything onto /
there is often no reason to create a /usr.  Take that space and add it to /

Hopefully this is enough information, along with Steve's,  to get you going

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group