SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 15:16:50 -0500
Rhykie Ron wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install SL5 on my laptop with AMD processor but the
> installation completes with just one  DVD installation disc1 without
> requiring the second disc2.

I don't see why that is a problem.  If you don't need something on the
second DVD, then it isn't asked for.

> This results with the system programs crashing
> and annoying sounds.
> So is SL5 supported in AMD-based laptops? Suggestions!!

I am assuming you are talking about SL 5.5.  And that works on many more
laptops than it did before.  But you have given us no details other than
the manufacturer of the CPU.
You also haven't said what system programs are crashing, and what you
mean by "annoying sounds".

Please give more details if you want an answer.

Sending the output of the following commands would help
   cat /proc/cpu
   lspci

Also if you could desrcibe the sound a little better.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group