SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:15:39 -0500
Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:36:57 -0500
> Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> Why EPEL is not included in SL mini livecd distro?
>>> There's no entry in /etc/yum directory.
>>>
>>> As I use yum-priorities I would like to know what priority it should
>>> have been attached as well.
>
>> yum install yum-conf-epel
>
> Oh, thank you. I used to adhere to the procedure described on EPEL
> website but may I know why EPEL entry was not included into SL
> distribution?

We are trying to trim down the number of extra repositories that get
installed with the initial yum-conf.  When SL 5 started, we started with
the yum repositories you currently see.  As more yum repositories came
to be (EPEL, CentOS Extras,  ELRepo ...) we had to make the choice of
adding all these various repositories into the default, or give each of
them their own yum-conf file.  The choice was to give each of them their
own yum-conf file.

With SL 6 there will only be Scientific Linux yum repositories in the
default yum.repos.d, and all the others will have their own yum-conf rpm
that get's installed.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group