SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:47:33 -0500
Hi,
Since you have installed something not in our release, nobody knows what
that script is really doing, so it's really really hard to tell you what
it's doing.

Are you sure that the external audio device isn't supported in the plain
  SL 5.5 release.  SL 5.5 had alot of updates that allow it to work much
better on netbooks (the most common platform for Atoms).

Why don't you try the full (not the mini) live CD, and see if everything
"just works".  You can then make things smaller.  But if you start with
everything already taken out and something doesn't work, you don't know
if it's because it doesn't work in Scientific Linux, or if it just isn't
installed because you started with such a stripped down version of S.L..

Troy

Salvador Aguinaga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed the mini live cd onto an Intel Atom board and installed the
> latest audio libraries from Alsa because I have an external audio device
> (PCI) and when I execute: sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound restart ... it
> drops the audio device and suddenly I have no audio devices, here is
> what I do:
>
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound restart
> Shutting down sound driver: ERROR: Module snd_hda_codec_realtek is in use
> ERROR: Module snd_hda_codec is in use by snd_hda_codec_realtek
> ERROR: Module snd_hwdep is in use by snd_hda_codec
> ERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by snd_hda_codec
> ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_pcm
> ERROR: Module snd is in use by
> snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> done
> ALSA driver is already running.
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsasound status
> ALSA sound driver loaded.
> $ aplay -l
> aplay: device_list:235: no soundcards found...
>
> The to get these back I have to do 'modprobe' so I was wondering if any
> of you have come accross this and be able to shed light on this issue:
>
> $ sudo /sbin/modprobe snd-echo3g
> $ aplay -l
> card 0: Layla3G [Layla3G], device 0: Analog PCM [Layla3G]
>   Subdevices: 8/8
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
>   Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
>   Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
>   Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
>   Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
>   Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
>   Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
> card 0: Layla3G [Layla3G], device 1: Digital PCM [Layla3G]
>   Subdevices: 8/8
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>   Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
>   Subdevice #2: subdevice #2

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group