SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2010

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2010 08:55:59 +0200
On 06/26/2010 01:22 PM, Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
> Dnia 24-06-2010 o 18:19:10 Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
> napisał(a):
>
>>> What was the reason not to release the mini_livecd 64bit?
>>>

>> A mini_livecd 64bit was never requested so far. An other reason was
>> to limit the amount of LiveCDs.
>> (...)
>> Nevertheless, I've just built a mini_livecd 64bit. Download
>> mini_livecd64_SL55_2010-06-24.iso from
>>
>> http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/download/testing/55/x86_64/
>>
>> It's not tested, but you may want to give it a try.
>
> Hi,
>
> I did. Some apps didn't open after pressing their buttons when run
> from CD - that's the fault of my DVD drive probably - so I went to
> shell and installed SL x64 via livecd-install.
>
> Alas, I was not able to up the SL x64. The process stopped
> (repeatedly) at the following messages (copied manually from the
> screen, no trace in logs):
>
> Switching to new root and running in it
> unmounting old /dev
> unmounting old /proc
> unmounting old /sys
>
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
> request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c
>
> (here system went to sleep and it has stopped sending messages...)
>
> BTW.1. I looked to the SL partition from other systems and there are
> no dev, proc, sys contents.
>
> BTW.2. On the second partition with SL x32 I ended up in "dependency
> hell" setting priorities to the same value. I know what I did. ;-) But
> is there a general rule what to open first?
>
> I need some apps which I used in Debian like Tea Editor (a must!),
> gqview (a must!), opera+firefox (a must!), (good) pdf reader, gftp,
> sound (a must), flash (high priority), etc.
>
> As some apps informed the lack of certain libraries I set priorities
> of all repos to 10 to have overall picture of what is available. Alas,
> the tea was still left without support - no libs it needed.
>
> Do I really need to compile them, against what repo?
>
> BTW.3. The repositories listed on the repo page
> http://www.scientificlinux.org/community/repo need little descriptions
> IMHO - which one may be used in full alone or together with which,
> etc. One hyperlink to external text describing the problem would suffice.
>
> Regards

Hi,

These are a lot of questions. Maybe even worth to open a separate thread
on the mailing list.

Just two comments:

If you have problems installing from livecd, I strongly recommend to
install from installation CDs or DVDs
(http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/55/iso).
If you depend on many software, which is not part of standard SL
distribution, SL is maybe not the right distribution for you.

But that’s just my two cents.

Cheers,

    Urs