SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2010

Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:51:38 -0400
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to chainload SL55 using
another OS's GRUB.  I have a box that successfully multiboots FreeBSD
8.0p3, Puppy Linux 5.0.1, and Scientific Linux 5.5.  FreeBSD is on
partition 1 (20GB), Puppy on partition 2 (4GB), and SL on partition 3
(20GB).

FreeBSD's bootloader, boot0, is installed in the MBR.  I want to keep
it this way since boot0 does not rely on any other files to load an OS.
(Less likely to lose all OSes if one is messed up.)  Currently, boot0
successfully loads FreeBSD's boot manager and Puppy's copy of GRUB.
Puppy is installed because I couldn't get boot0 to load SL55's GRUB.
Puppy's GRUB loads SL55 only if I edit menu.lst and insert the kernel
and initrd commands from SL55.

While this configuration works, I'd prefer using the chainloader since
kernel updates to SL require me to edit Puppy's menu.lst.

In 2005, one fellow created a GRUB system that booted 100+ OSes
<http://tinyurl.com/7da6j>.  While most Linux flavors (including
CENTOS) were handled with "chainloader +1," he had to insert the kernel
and initrd commands for SL.  Since CENTOS could be chainloaded, I'd
expect SL to behave the same way.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Jon Ruth
Kent, Ohio