SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2010

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:13:15 +0100
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Simon Butcher wrote:

> hi everybody
>
> We run a lot of desktop SL machines running openoffice. Last week there was
> an update to openoffice.org-ure package to
> openoffice.org-ure-3.1.1-19.5.el5_5.1.i386
>
> As a result our 5.x machines with openoffice 2.3 have been suddenly upgraded
> to 3.1 - a bit of a surprise!
>
> Unfortunately the update to openoffice.org-ure from sl-security broke the
> custom OOo 3.0 we use on many of our desktops where the local custom repo was
> not prioritized over sl-security repo (we provide newer versions of OOo
> because only 2.3 was provided by the distro)
>
> i'm surprised that nobody else seems to be affected by this, or has mentioned
> the jump to 3.1.
>
> we've now managed to put an emergency workaround in place. however, i'm just
> writing this note in case others are affected.
>
> any "me too"s, or were most people using the old 2.3 OOo provided by SL5.x
> (where x<5) ?

We were already using OOo 3.2 when the announcement of sl shipping 3.1.1
came out so were not directly affected.

However it did cause me to notice that 3.2.1 was in fact a security
update; that wasn't obvious to me from my earlier quick glance at the OOo
releasenotes.  I'd originally not planned to update to it until the end of
the month...

So we were saved by sl announcing OOo 3.1.1!

  -- Jon