SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:57:22 -0500
Hello,
I have experience with installing to an external thumb drive, so I guess
I'll reply.

It is easiest to start with a fresh install onto your external drive.
Boot up your machine with the installer, like you were going to install
to your normal internal drive, but during the partitioning phase, leave
the internal drive alone and only work with the external drive.
I always do the partitioning using the custom partitioning scheme
because I don't want to trust it to the installer.
After partitioning, you come to the "Boot Loader Configuration"

https://fermilinux.fnal.gov/distribution/slf-5/installation/boot.loader.configuration.html

Click on "Configure advanced boot loader options" and click "Next"
At the advanced screen, click on "Change Drive Order"
On that screen, rearange the drive order so that your external drive is
first in the list. Click "OK" Then double check to make sure that
"Master Boot Record (MBR)" is checked.
Then click "Next"

And then proceed like a normal install.

Then if your machine is able to boot off an external USB device, it
should be able to boot off the external drive that you just installed on.

Troy

suhaiL khan wrote:
> Hello all
> Nobody responded to this mail. I also want to know this possibility.
> Any help is thankfully appreciated.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group