SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2010

From:
Nagaraj Panyam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nagaraj Panyam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 04:32:47 -0500
Hi,

We have a strange problem about graphics display. Our users run GEANT4 on
remote server and view the display on local desktop using x11forwarding.

In the forwarded display GEANT4 display on the desktops, the particle tra
cks
appear Ok, but the detector outline is missing, we tried changing colors,

etc. The remote server is SL4 and the desktop is SL5. This problem was no
there when the same desktops were running SL4. I paste an expert's opinio
n here.

> This situation almost always means that you have the wrong driver for
> your graphics card. The driver you have is correctly handling polylines

> (hence trajectories are working) but is not properly handling polygons
> (hence detector geometry is not working).
>
> The solution is to figure out exactly which graphics card you have and
> then download the specific driver from the graphics card manufacturer.

I am stumped. The graphics driver was auto detected at install time, and
trust that the driver is fine because there doesn't seem to be any proble
with any other display. How do I verify that indeed the driver is the
problem? Or any other workaround? If indeed the driver needs to be change
d,
how do I go about it?

Infact, the display problem started appearing on desktops with different
models of graphics cards, after upgrade to SL5,so its not related to any
one
model.

Thanks
Nagaraj