SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:08:17 -0500
> *Sites - Customized SL releases
> In the past, we have always put patches into anaconda (the installer) so
> that people and groups can more easily create a custom release.
> We were thinking of not changing the installer at all, but instead
> implement revisor, and it's friends, to create custom sites, in the same
> way that Fedora creates their custom spins.
> - This would be less work on our part
> - Documentation should be better since we would mainly be using Fedora's
> - The technique could be transfered to CentOS based distributions.
I'll admit I've been trying to build a SL "site" since 4.1.  I'm still
baffled by the documentation and supporting scripts.  I ended up
building a supplementary CD for our end users to insert and install
packages/run scripts after the fact.  The default "noexec" in SL5
annoyed me to no end.  It is rather clumsy and I would welcome any
easier method to roll in custom packages and configurations during the
install process.  Either through the modification of the installation
media or a means to insert another media during install (CD preferred).

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer

National Electrostatics Corp.