SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:15:04 -0500
Hello,
With the RHEL6 beta out, and SL 5.5 released, it's time to really start
planning for SL6.
There are a few idea's that would be good to be discussed before we
charge forward to implement them.

*Sites - Customized SL releases
In the past, we have always put patches into anaconda (the installer) so
that people and groups can more easily create a custom release.
We were thinking of not changing the installer at all, but instead
implement revisor, and it's friends, to create custom sites, in the same
way that Fedora creates their custom spins.
- This would be less work on our part
- Documentation should be better since we would mainly be using Fedora's
- The technique could be transfered to CentOS based distributions.

*Yum - autoupdate
How do we want to do that?
- Continue with my script ?
- Use yum-cron ?
- have several things available ?

*Kernel-modules
They are a necessary evil.  How should we handle them on SL6

*Security - Bugs - Enhancement Updates
Do we want everything separate still?
Do we want everything in one big yum repository with them labeled
correctly as Security, Bugs, and Enhancements?
If we had them in one big repository, we would have to label them as
security, bugs, enhansements, and them make sure we used the
yum-security plugin.

*Yum Repositories
What should we have for default?
Should we still have "contrib"?
Should we add "development"?
Should we have yum-conf-epel?  Or should that be a default repository?

*JAVA
I propose we don't add Sun's (Oracle's) java.

*What should we add to SL6
At the last Hepix meeting one of the discussions was that many
scientists are adding their packages to EPEL.  They would like it if
packages that are in EPEL stay just in EPEL and not go into SL unless
there is a good reason for it.
A good reason would be that it is needed during the install.
I like this idea and would like to adopt it.
This would mean that we would take out several packages that have
traditionally been in earlier SL releases, but I think it will make
things better and more consistent in the long run.
This way scientists would be able to know they are getting the same
packages whether they are running SL, RHEL or CentOS.
Thoughts on this proposal?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group