SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:59:10 -0500
Hi All,
As people might remember, we were going to have Scientific Linux 4
follow the "legacy" path that Scientific Linux 3 took.  For those that
don't remember, or hadn't heard, here is our news announcement on it.

http://www.scientificlinux.org/news/archive/roadmap-sl4

The problem is, that this was based on the assumption that RHEL 4.9 was
going to be released back in November 2009.

At this years RedHat Summit, I didn't hear one mention of an Update 9
coming out for RHEL 4.  I personally believe that it will not come out
until RHEL 6.0 comes out, if at all.

But, just for the sake of being optimistic, let's suppose that they
release the Beta for RHEL 4.9 next week (July).  It usually takes them a
little over two months to get a release out once it's hit beta, that
means RHEL 4.9 would be released in September 2010.  Then it usually
takes us a little over two months to get our release out, so we're
looking at December 2010.  But, just to make things even, let's call it
January 1, 2011.

We told our users that they would get a minimum of 6 months to
transition to SL 4.9.  That put's us at July 2011, and that is being
optimistic.  And total support for RHEL4 and SL4 ends February 2012.

So at the very best, we would only be running in Legacy mode for 8
months.  That's not very much time for the amount of effort the
developers, admin's, and users will have to go through to get to SL 4.9.

Here is my new proposal.
We forget about Legacy mode for SL 4.  We continue with supporting all
of the SL 4 releases as we currently are, up until the final day in
February 2012.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group