SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:09:48 -0700
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:13 AM, Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The release candidates (2010-06-14) of SL55 LiveCD/DVD are ready for testing. If I don't get any reports about major
> problems with these candidates, the SL55 LiveCD/DVD can be released end of this week.
>
> Download from
>
> http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/download/testing/55/i386/
> http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/download/testing/55/x86_64/
>

> Changes since last testing version:
>
> - update of isolinux to version 3.86
> - update of all RPMs to latest SL55 versions
> - add boot parameters: blacklist, nohotplug
>
> If the LiveCD hangs during boot up when starting udev, you can try to boot with
>
> linux nohotplug
>
> This will disable /lib/udev/udev_run_hotplugd, but will produces some error messages.
> Or you can set specific kernel module on the blacklist (/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist) for hotplug scripts

Hi Urs,

I did a brief testing of the x86_64 LiveCD on the machine that had
trouble with the first version. It is worse now; after I hit enter at
the boot: prompt, the machine shuts itself off.  Using hohotplus did
not make any difference.

At this point, I don't know if there is some problem with the hardware
or the problem is associated with the LiveCD. Unfortunately, I cannot
do extensive testing at this moment because the machine is now in
production use.  It has been running SL5.5 x86_64 just fine.

In any event, this seems like an "isolated" case since I do not see
any other trouble report here and I was able to boot other machines
without an issue.

Akemi