SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:38:30 +0100
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Oleg Sadov wrote:
>>  07/06/2010 13:15 -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>> >  *Kernel-modules
>> >  They are a necessary evil.  How should we handle them on SL6
>> >
>> >  *Yum Repositories
>> >  What should we have for default?
>> >  Should we still have "contrib"?
>> >  Should we add "development"?
>> >  Should we have yum-conf-epel?  Or should that be a default repository?
>>
>>  I think EPEL is a helpful resource in some cases. Of course, it's my be
>>  disabled by default for conflicts avoiding.
>>
>>  Apropos, what do you think about ELREPO repository:
>>
>>  http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php
>>
>>  It have a lot of useful packages with a device drivers, which not
>>  included to RHEL.
>
> This brings up a thought that I was having.
> 1 - Switch from having a yum-conf rpm to having the default yum repositories
> in sl-release, like the rest of the world.

While you are looking at the yum rempos etc can I suggest having baseurls
containing .../$releasever/... rather than having to have the repo files
updates for each point release?

Currently we replace the shipped yum.repos.d/ files with ones which uses
$releasever which means we need to have a few symlinks so that 5.4 -> 54,
5.5 -> 55 etc but other than that saves us from all sorts of mess :-)

> 2 - Remove all of the non-sl repositories out of the default yum repositories
> (dag, atrpms, adobe), and then have *all* non-sl yum repositories in their
> own rpm.

I strongly agree!

> 2a - We could name these yum-conf-<repo> such as yum-conf-dag,
> yum-conf-elrepo and yum-conf-epel.  But I'm up for giving them a different
> name if everyone thinks something would be better.

Sounds good to me.

> 3 - Have the yum priorities plugin installed by default, and all yum
> repositories need to have a priority ranking.

I've not looked at yum priorities, but I assume that you can temporarily
alter the order/priorities to pull in a version from a low-priority
repo...

  -- Jon