SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 14:13:45 -0500
Hi Chris,
With the past CentOS scare it made us thing again about merging with
CentOS and it was decided that it wasn't the best thing.  We felt it was
best if there were two independent environments.  Thus if something
happened to us, it wouldn't hurt CentOS, and vice versa.
That doesn't meant that we don't collaborate with them and help them
with problems and vice versa.  But it is in both of our best interests
if we keep separate.

As for redundancy between CentOS extras and SL, I really don't know, I
haven't looked at CentOS Extras for a while.
But that is partly why we're looking at not putting everything under the
sun into SL6, but leave it in the various repositories.  Some people
like the way EPEL does some packages, some like DAG, and some like
CentOS extra's.  If we leave more packages in those repositories, quit
duplicating them in SL, and make it easy for admins to pick the
repositories they want, it should help everyone.

The major difference between CentOS and SL?
CentOS tries to be as close to RHEL as possible.  They do not add
anything to it.
SL tries to be as close to RHEL as possible also.  But we do add things
to it.
That is the main difference that I see.  There are minor things, like
our general community, our style for releasing distributions, but those
things are minor to me.

I hope this answered more questions than it brings up.

Troy