SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:20:22 -0500
Serguei Mokhov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> *JAVA
>> I propose we don't add Sun's (Oracle's) java.
>
> And what's wrong with Java? OpenJDK is good. There are
> plenty of scientific/research/academic apps written in
> Java and Java's taught to Uni students here.
> I am writing some for my research as well and I am using
> OpenJDK, particularly version 1.6*. Please add it.

I didn't say "java" I said "Sun's Java"
We have been putting sun's jdk into Scientific Linux since SL 3.
OpenJDK is in RHEL6 and is working fine, and I am proposing to leave it
at that, to not put in any other versions of java.
With Oracle buying Sun, I'd really like to get away from putting their
java into the distribution.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group