SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2010

Date:
Sat, 29 May 2010 20:23:19 +0000
Dr J wrote:
> g wrote:
>> Dr J wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Now I can get fan speeds and voltages which were not available before...
>>> Any ideas???

ok. this lead me to believe that you did not have lm-sensors installed,
caused by my reading your post in haste.

lm-sensors works on my system from jump, but it is an older system.

<snip>

> Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have lm_sensors and it is working..Iget
> results for theF71882FG module which gives fan speeds and voltages.
> An examination of /etc/sysconfig/lm-sensors  shows
>
> MODULE_0=coretemp
> MODULE_1=f71882fg
> .
> Coretemp worked in SL5.4 but not in SL5.5
> modprobe -l|grep coretemp shows:
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-194.3.1.el5/kernel/drivers/hwmon/coretemp.ko

as a wild guess and question, can you boot to bios and read cpu temp?
this would verify that thermal sensor/registry is working.

due to various ways of reading cpu temp, thermal sensor and actual core temp
thru registers, it might be worth while to contact upstream, lm-sensors, to
see if there was any change of how reading is done in sl5.5.

linux google advanced search;

63 hits;

lm-sensors "core temp"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=core+temp&as_oq=lm-sensors&as_eq=&num=100&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dlinux=

> CPU is an i7-920

5 hits;

lm-sensors "core temp" "i7"

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&site=linux&restrict=linux&output=linux&q=lm-sensors+%22core+temp%22+%22i7%22&btnG=Search

also, because i do have fedora installed and subscribe to it's tsl,
i have noticed a lot of mentioning on conky.

http://conky.sourceforge.net/

15 hits;

"conky" "core temp"

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&site=linux&restrict=linux&output=linux&q=%22conky%22+%22core+temp%22&btnG=Search

2 hits;

"conky" "core temp" "i7"

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&site=linux&restrict=linux&output=linux&q=%22conky%22+%22core+temp%22+%22i7%22&btnG=Search

wish i could be of more help.

at least, if you have not tried above, it will give you something to read
until someone comes along with a positive answer.

additional info: make and model of mainboard

does manual tell how core temp is monitored? sensor or registry?

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.