SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2010 15:38:03 -0500
Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On 24 May 2010, at 17:20, Pom Sailasuta wrote:
>
>> I would like to install Sc-Linux version 5.5 on my desktop which is a dual boot system (Fedora core 2 and Win XP, hard drive capacity is 280GB, which I think is dying).
>> I would like to do this on my new 800GB hard disk currently empty and mounted on /dev/sbd with 3 partitions, first parition is for linux, second is for swap and third covers the entire disk.
>> Ultimately, if this works out, I will remove my old 280GB drive and only use the new 800GB drive, no dual boot this time, just linux.
>>
>> I would apprecaite any suggestion on how to do this.
>> I can not removed the old drive and just simply use this 800GB drive because my Dell Optiplex GX620 does not have option for boot from CD or DVD,
>> I have only two options either hard drive or USB CD ROM.
>
> In this scenario I usually download the installer's kernel and initramfs, put them in /boot, add a GRUB entry for them, and boot from the hard drive.  It will ask you for a URI for the installation tree, at which point you can point it to an appropriate place on a SL mirror.

Garrett is correct, but just incase you need a little more detail.
Do the following as root in your current fedore core 2

   mkdir /boot/55
   cd /boot/55
   wget
http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/55/i386/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
   wget
http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/55/i386/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz

   vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
add the following section if you have a separate /boot/ partition
change "root (hd0,1)" to whatever the line is for your current linux
   title Install SL 55
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /54/vmlinuz
         initrd /54/initrd.img
add the following section if you do not have a separate /boot/ partition
change "root (hd0,1)" to whatever the line is for your current linux
   title Install SL 55
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /boot/54/vmlinuz
         initrd /boot/54/initrd.img

reboot your machine, and pick "Install SL 55" at grub.
When the time comes, select install via http and put in the url
http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/55/i386/
or whatever your favorite mirror is.

Hope this helps.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group