SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 09:44:50 -0500
Jan Kundrát wrote:
>> Will I have the XFS filesystem after the upgrade?
>
> Quick answer: yes, it's integrated into the kernel RPM. Other issues
> (yum willing to remove bunch of X11-related packages if the "xfs" RPM
> was installed before) still stand.
>
> Have fun,
> Jan

Hi Jan,
Hopefully Jon Peatfield's answer already answered your question, but
just incase it didn't.

Our original design of getting the xfs file system onto a machine was
flawed, because of the package "xfs".  At the time, we didn't know it,
but xorg-x11-xfs "provided" xfs.  So there was a conflict, but it wasn't
easy to see until yum started doing crazy things, like what you saw.
So we changed xfs to be xfs-filesystem (as Jon said) and this solved the
problem for newly installed machines.
If people already had the xfs package installed, then they had to
manually update to xfs-filesystem by hand, or just remove xfs the
package, they still have this xfs versus xorg-x11-xfs problem.  But the
problem sat dormant as long as nothing changed.

Then RedHat started putting xfs into the x86_64 kernel in SL 5.4.  So
that there was no longer a kernel-module-xfs rpm.  Also, yum has the
"installonlyn" kernel feature, that removes older kernels after you've
reached 'n'.  See the installonly_limit line in /etc/yum.conf if you
want to change that.  The default limit is set to 4.
So as you update your kernel's, yum is removing your older kernels along
with their kernel-module's related to that kernel.  And eventually, all
of your kernel-module-xfs packages are gone.

But xfs (and xfs-filesystem) depend on kernel-module-xfs.  They are
designed this way so that in order to install xfs, all you have to do is
install xfs-filesystem (or originally xfs) and yum will automatically
pull in the correct kernel-module-xfs.

Since yum is pulling off the last kernel-module-xfs, and xfs depends on
that, yum starts pulling off the xfs package.  But since other packages
think that xfs is the "x font server" they start getting removed also,
and then ... well, you saw what happens.

I know that is sortof a long winded description, but hopefully it
answers all your questions.  It can be summed up with "Our original try
at XFS in Scientific Linux was flawed.  We apologize for that."

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group