SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2010

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 13:44:31 +0100
On Thu, 20 May 2010, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> Dear list,
> I've hit the following issue on a 5.2 box. When trying to run `yum
> update kernel`, yum wants to remove quite a lot of items:
> ---> Package xfs.x86_64 0:0.4-1.el5 set to be erased
> I guess the problem is related to using the "xfs" string for both the
> XFS kernel module and also the X Font Server. See below:
> So, the problem is that xorg-x11-server-Xorg, which depends on
> xorg-x11-fonts-base, which depends on chkfontpath, depends on "xfs":

If you manually install xorg-x11-xfs (and remove xfs) that should then let
the dependency checker work ok (xorg-x11-xfs would probably have been
accidentally removed when xfs was installed...)

You only need xfs to pull in the right kernel-module-xfs packages.

The xfs metapackage was renamed in sl53 to avoid this problem, it became
xfs-filesystem, though it will only be needed on i386 machines or with
older kernels since TUV included xfs support for x84_64 starting with
EL5.4...

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |