SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 09:16:54 -0500
Hi Eve,
I don't know about SL 5.3.  But in SL 5.4 we started putting in firmware
for the rt73 usb.
Starting with the 2.6.18-164 kernels we have the rt73usb driver, version
2.1.4.  But you *do* need to have the firmware installed.

I would test it on a plain SL 5.4 machine, making sure you have the
rt73usb-firmware package installed
   yum install rt73usb-firmware

It might just work out of the box if you do that.

Troy

Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
> We have a wireless USB device that we have been trying to get working on
> a linux box with a 32-bit SL5.3 OS.
> The device is an ASUS WL-167g USB 2.0.
> We have tried both the driver on the CD that came with the device, and a
> more recent version available on the ASUS website. In each case, the
> driver compiles and loads without errors (the kernel module is rt73),
> but when we try to bring up the wireless adapter, the system complains
> that the device cannot be found.
>
> Has anyone tried this device and got it to work successfully on linux?
> Can anyone recommend a wireless USB that DOES work easily out of the box
> for SL5.3?
>
> Thanks,
> Eve

> Eve Kovacs
> Argonne National Laboratory,
> Room E-217, Bldg. 362, HEP
> 9700 S. Cass Ave.
> Argonne, IL 60439 USA
> Phone: (630)-252-6208
> Fax:   (630)-252-5047
> email: [log in to unmask]

> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:46:19 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Kyler Kuehn <[log in to unmask]>
> To: Eve V. E. Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
> Cc: Steve Kuhlmann <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: info on usb
>
> It's an ASUS WL-167g USB 2.0.
> The usb, box, discs, and documentation are all in the computer room, if you
> need anything more.
>
> ****************************
> Kyler Kuehn
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> High Energy Physics Division
> Argonne National Laboratory
> Bldg. 362 Rm. F-241
>
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Please send me the info on the usb that doesn't work (ie make, model)
>> so that I can query the sci-linux usesr list.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Eve
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group