SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2010

Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 21:03:05 +0000
Larry Linder wrote:
> Sometime in the last few weeks I have lost the ability to add new users.
> I get an error message that passwd and shadow are different.  Ran "pwconv"
> same error mesage and it flages gpasswd and gshadow are different.

not good.

 1) record date and time of all passwd and group files. backup these files
    and all log files off of system.

 2) if you have slightest thought of a system breech, change root and *all*
    admin passwords now and maintain them.

 3) check logs to see who was logged in and who was root, su-root, or admin
    during time.

 4) any updating going on during time?

 5) open and check passwd and shadow, and group and gshadow files and compare
    order of listing. they should match in order.

 6) carefully check passwd and group files to be sure that what is listed is
    what should be.

 7) ensure that all names have 'x' in 2nd position and that only root has
   '0' in 3rd position of passwd file and that all users are 500 and higher.

 8) ensure that only root and users have an encrypted password shown. rest
    should be '*' or '!!'. programs that are 'user' should have '*', system
    files should have '!!'.

 9) ensure that in group file, all listed have 'x' in second position.

10) ensure that in gshadow, root and common groups should have nothing in 2nd
    and 3rd positions, 4th position who is allowed.

ounce above is done, go back thru group and shadow match any miss ordering.
same for group and gshadow, and correct any incorrect users.

something bad wrong caused this problem and it may be a fluke. but it could
be caused by and unhappy user or a system breech.

there is a site with this information in more detail, but i can not find it
in my bookmarks.

i will search for it again and post when i find it.

much luck.

later.

--

peace out.