SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 11:32:07 -0500
Vladimir Titov wrote:

> There are some small differences between 4.0 and 4.2 version,
> but I don't see why we should use old version.
>
> However, now the newest version exists, gnuplot-4.4 (see
> ftp://ftp.linux-ink.ru/pub/SLCE/5rolling/testing/{SRPMS,i386}/gnuplot/*.rpm).
> Some bugs are fixed, some terminals are added,
> some new features are released. Why we have to wait a while
> before using this version? A few useful applications
> use gnuplot as graphical tool, for example octave, maxima etc.
> Gnuplot tends to fit these applications (wxwidget etc.)
> and we must use newest gnuplot version.
>
> Vladimir Titov, Linux-ink

Hi Vladimir,
If a package is supported by RedHat, we are not going to change it just
because it is old.  If we were to do that then we might as well update
the entire release each time.  That is not what Scientific Linux is about.
Scientific Linux is an Enterprise linux, which means that packages
remain stable.  Sometimes those packages get old, but they remain stable.
The package gnuplot42 is not updating the gnuplot that RedHat already
supports, but add's another package.  It is packaged so that a person
can have either the old gnuplot, or the newer 4.2 gnuplot installed at
the same time.
But, you do have a point.
If we are making this new gnuplot42, why make it 42 instead of 44.  The
easy answer is that when this was started, 44 wasn't released.

What do people think?
Should we change gnuplot42 to gnuplot44?
That shouldn't be too hard.
Is there any technical reasons why we wouldn't want gnuplot44?

Troy
p.s. SL 5.5 Release Candidate 1 will have gnuplot42, but if we work fast
on this we could have gnuplot44 in the final release.
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LSCS/CSI/USS Group